Saturday, May 10, 2014

Tangled Fashion

If you came to this blog because you were connected from ZTforkids then you have already seem some of this content. I felt the need to share on my own blog however.



I have recently purchased a Style Me Up Disney set from Meijers for $7.99. (I understand Target also carries these.) the set is a book of 5 different hairstyles with girls all in boy shorts and strapless tops. It comes with stencils, stickers, and a 16 page introduction on fashion concepts and pallette colors. The purpose is to let young girls design their own fashions for these 'dolls'. Enter STX.  







I could not resist. The idea was too tempting to pass up. Play with fashion? I have always loved this. My mom went to Cornell University and graduated with a degree in fashion design. She has always doodled dolls and dresses, and I can vividly remember as a kid coming across her sketchbooks filled with styles and patterns she had had to do for her classes. I always was intrigued by this. Now I get to play.










The thing I really like about this is the dolls are already drawn for you. I have always struggled with body proportions and making faces symmetrical. This takes all that extra work out of it and allows you to focus on the outfit specifically. 








My first thought was to play with tangles. Sandy Stein Bartholomew has a book called Tangled Fashionista. I have yet to purchase this book but from the videos and reviews I have seen of it you fill tangles in the predrawn dresses and outfits. Very cool. But I wanted to try to be more free form. Inspired by Norma J. Burnell, CZT who does beautiful tangled fairies both on Etsy and online, I wanted to explore what I could do. 







On some I have used the stencils with pencil as a guideline for the outfits. The pencil is later easily erased. This gives me my 'strings' to work in. 






A micron 01 and colored pencils, metallic colored pencils, gelly roll pens, and watercolor pencils have added the necessary color in many of my drawings. A blending stub and an HB pencil have added the shading. 





Always looking to explore new things, this has been so fun to find. I know I would highly recommend it to anyone! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...