Friday, February 8, 2013

Footstool DIY

Recently I have been into DIY furniture pieces for my home. None of these are large or elaborate but I have so much fun making them! My latest search has been for a footstool. Short of going to a thrift store and buying one to suit my needs I decided to make one with materials on hand.



I started with finials I found in a box for feet. (the bonus on the finials is they have a smooth bottom and will not snag on the carpet. No need for protective felt pads here.)



Finding some scrap wood already built in a frame-like structure was a help, and having commandeered my husband's drill and staple gun, I went to my fabric stash for some fat quarters and a bag of stuffing. (This frame measured 10x13)



I used hubby's drill to make some holes for the finials to screw into. My fat quarter was the right size for my frame so I started by finding the center of the sides and stapled the long sides with their middles first. Be sure to fold the edge of the fabric under for this. Working my way towards the outside edge I stapled all along the long edges. Here I felt comfortable adding some stuffing so I could see what would work best. Once I had a sufficient amount in, I stapled a short side, again starting at the center and working my way out to the sides. When I got to the corner I gathered the fabric and stapled. I did the same thing to the opposite short side, stuffing as I went to be sure of an even distribution.



I think it came out rather nice. It is the perfect compliment to my little reading nook. The stool fits well under my chair so it is out of the way when not in use. My only disappointment is that it is not a little taller but I suppose I can fix that by changing the finials for taller legs. All in all, fun and cute.

This took me maybe a half hour to put together when all was said and done.


ALRIGHTY, fast-forward to the next day. I decided I was going to make it taller. I know, some would say leave well enough alone but I wasn't happy with it and decided to make it a bit taller. I took the finials off and was left with the frame.




I found some coordinating fabric that I thought would match well. It had the right green for my chair and I decided to staple this on as well before adding my wood.



After stapling I realized I had a bit of a gap.



No problem! I have a pretty purple fabric to use here. Cut a small piece to fit and went from there.



This was my original wood choice. Looks like a lot of work and cutting involved. Not to mention all the screws needed as well. I decided to go with two pieces of 2x4s I had found.



I again stapled the fabric to the back of this wood now. Be sure to make sure your corners look neat.





When the green was done I stapled the purple on it. I thought this would turn out like a buckle of sorts on it.



Then I measured to be sure my finials would be evenly placed and again drilled holes for the finials.



Screw in the finials...



Flip it over and tada! I especially like the little flower detail on the purple accent fabric.




What do you think? I love my little nook. And personalizing it with DIY projects has been so much fun. I can't wait to see what is next on the list. I will keep you posted!









Total project time was about 1 hour including the previous half hour initially mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...